MindFreedom Principles for Mental Health Alternatives
We envision many humane, empowering and competing models replacing the dominance of the bio-medical model. The flourishing of services, groups, philosophies, and products will allow for genuine freedom to choose. To be listed in MFI's directory, all individuals, groups, and agencies must agree to uphold certain principles. These values set providers apart from conventional services.
Are you a mental health care provider who agrees with the below principles?
Would you like to submit your mental health service for potential listing in the free MindFreedom Directory of Mental Health Alternatives?
Then please email your interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Our practitioners, groups, and agencies. . .
- Do not tell people that they suffer from ‘irreversible genetic and biochemical abnormalities.’ Instead, our providers believe that recovery, growth, and change are extremely probable, especially given the right conditions.
- Never pressure people into taking psychiatric drugs or into getting off them.
- Give people complete information about the risks and benefits of psychiatric drugs as well as the risks and benefits of alternative modalities.
- Respect people’s decision to discontinue using psychiatric drugs. If within a provider's scope of practice, a provider will help titration off psychiatric drugs safely. If not with a provider's scope of practice, a provider will proactively seek practitioners to aid in this process.
- Do not use psychiatric drugs as the primary treatment modality.
- Do not use psychiatric diagnosis as the primary way of understanding and relating to people.
- Are willing to have a collaborative dialogue about any diagnosis.
- Recognize and uphold the rights of people to conduct their lives free from coercive treatments.
Gateway to MindFreedom Directory of Alternatives
To search the free directory, principles, disclaimer and news release, click here: