Brain Altering Technology Experiments
Psychosurgery, vagus nerve stimulation, and rTMS (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation) are all examples of brain altering technology that may be used for psychiatric purposes and that are currently openly used internationally.
- MFI Statement on the Rise of Brain Altering Technologies Today
- MFI has reports of an alarming increase in the use of brain altering technology for the psychiatric purposes, and issued this statement.
- London Telegraph reports "Microchips Implants For Mentally Ill Planned"
- The London Telegraph reports that British Prime Minister Tony Blair seeks to implement radical measures for tackling crime --ranging from monitoring those diagnosed with psychiatric disabilities with radio chips to hormone injections for sex offenders -- as part of "new Labour agenda." The paper also reports that Blair has ordered a broad review of possible new anti-crime measures: face and voice recognition, a DNA database, identity cards, microchip monitoring and satellite surveillance.
- Harsh Treatment
- The Wall St. Journal exposes the rise of crude versions of psychosurgery in China. Psychosurgery is defined as the intentional destruction of healthy brain tissue to change behavior. Lobotomy is an example of psychosurgery. Psychosurgery is actually quietly done throughout the world, but the type in China is especially crude, extreme and frequent.
- Shock and Awe
- The Village Voice published this article about "The stunning comeback of electroshock and other harrowing treatments for the mentally ill." The Voice also published a letter by director of MindFreedom International David W. Oaks in response to the article.
- Psychiatric Drug Implants
- University of Pennsylvania researchers are experimenting on an implantable disk under the skin that would time-release powerful neuroleptic psychiatric drugs for up to one year.
- Juan and Eva Perón, 1945
- Eva Peron is alleged to have had a lobotomy toward the end of her life.