Globalization of psychiatry
Concern about expansion of the mental health industry to poor & developing countries.
- Q&A with Arthur Kleinman
- This interview by the Boston Globe of professor Arthur Kleinman -- author, psychiatrist, anthropologist, and Director of Harvard's Asia Center -- touches on the medicalization of psychiatry, and cross-cultural mental health issues.
- Arthur Kleinman
- Psychiatrist and Director of Harvard's Asia Center.
- MindFreedom Responds to a Call for "More Money" for Mental Health in Poor & Developing Countries
- Media are widely covering a news story about global mental health. Lancet, the widely-respected medical publication, published a study calling for more money for mental health services in poor developing countries. World Health Organization promptly put out an endorsement of this call for more money. But MindFreedom asks, "more money for what"?
- Deadly Medicine
- The magazine Vanity Fair has an article about globalization of pharmaceutical industry, especially about huge increase in the way people in poor countries are used as guinea pigs to test all kinds of drugs, including psychiatric: