Military and Mental Health
The intersection between the military and the mental health system has gained special attention because of veterans returning from war with a diagnosis of "post traumatic stress disorder" or PTSD.
- Paula J. Caplan is an author, teacher, playwright, and long-time supporter of MindFreedom. Dr. Caplan is a research and clinical psychologist at Harvard. Here is a link to an article by Dr. Caplan that was published in Tikkun magazine about how the typical person may help those veterans returning home to the USA after having experienced severe and overwhelming trauma in Iraq.
- An article by Penny Coleman on AlterNet describing the development of new drugs for soldiers that promise to prevent feelings of guilt and remorse.
- "America's Medicated Army"
- The stress that military personnel are facing in Iraq and Afghanistan is leading a growing number of soldiers to seek help from mental health care professionals. In this article, Time Magazine's Mark Thompson reveals that these soldiers in crisis face a serious lack of treatment alternatives.
- Vets’ Mental Health Diagnoses Rising